Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The good and the bad...

The good and the bad - they go hand in hand... you have to have one to appreciate the other.  So the good and the bad of my new job - the good - today I got to meet a couple of great folks!!  Had a wonderful time talking and sharing experiences... the bad side was that we weren't rolling.  Needless to say the good out weighed the bad :) but the waiting SUCKS - however if we weren't waiting, we wouldn't have had time to visit... see what I mean about the good and bad going hand in hand.  We need the down time - but to have that down time, we don't earn any money. 

During the visit we were talking about eating post op while trucking - I mentioned about the nuts we eat. She mentioned baby carrots or other veggies that could be in easy reach while driving, but 1) not as many calories as nuts and 2) not as expensive 3) variety!! <smacking self on forehead> What a great idea!  We stop at Walmarts to get the nuts (way less expensive than the little packs at truckstops) so we can get the veggies at the same time... sometimes I totally don't see the obvious.  So we went shopping and I picked some stuff up for the next couple days.  I'm going to try to do something in the lunch box cooker - I'm going to attempt a custard.  There will even be enough eggs left (bought a 6 pack) to do up something quiche like.  I also got some ox tail - I've heard that there is a LOT of flavor in that cut - but it needs to be cooked for a longer period of time - like all day.  Figure I can start it in the morning and then mid afternoon debone it - add some more liquid and add in some lentils I picked up - I love experimenting!!  Cooking in the truck is a bit of a challenge though.  Trying to cut stuff up in a moving vehicle without lopping off fingers... trying to pour liquid from one container to another and not spilling... because the 'kitchen' is also the bedroom and let me just tell you - it could make a big mess!!

I'm really hoping to get to Las Vegas this next weekend.  There is a 'Meet and Greet' of WLS folk.  It is so cool to be able to meet the people you have only had contact with on line.  Sure you see pictures of the people, but that doesn't tell you the tone of their voice or body language.  This journey (the WLS one) has been such a blessing.  I have met some really great folk and I don't think I would have gotten out of my rut or shell without it.  I can't invision myself 3 years ago (I had surgery 2 years ago) going to meet people from on-line.  I would have found some excuse NOT to meet people.  I have more confidence in myself and better self esteem (I think) than I did 3 years ago.  Sure at the time, if you had asked me, I would have said I was fine, but looking back - I was miserable, I just didn't know any better. I'm still working on my 'mind' stuff... such as still eating when I'm not hungery - just because... Or occasionally sneaking some real chocolate - without my husband seeing - because what would he think of it.  I'm sure he would be fine, but I would feel guilty - so I hide it, and still feel guilty - LOL! Ah the games our minds play...

Well its late - and I'm hoping for a long day of driving tomorrow... WA to SLC to Las Vegas by the 13th - and tomorrow is the 12th.  Yeah - its not looking so good... but here is hoping!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sweetie,
    I can SO relate to the eating undercover thing! I went to the grocery store by myself (a rarity these days) and fought with myself the entire time! "Come on, get the chocolate! You can eat it before you even get back" ....."No, no, no, you don't need the calories" "You've GOT to get this under control!!" Arrrgghh...I drive myself crazy! We have gained back all the weight we lost, PLUS some! Those truck stops have all the comfort foods, too! Drive safe guys! We are in Salem, SD sitting in the rain...ugh! ;0)

    ReplyDelete